One could argue that every workplace comes with its fair share of hazards today. For those working with large machinery, equipment, and moving parts deal with an extreme amount of danger as it relates to workplace safety. Plant workers, managers, employees, and anyone else involved in production or manufacturing knows the plight.
As part of Canadian law, guarding your machinery pieces that are moving or poise significant danger to works is mandatory to remain compliant today. Whether it’s nip hazards or rotating parts, one of the most important things you could do today is invest in good, quality machine guarding. Here’s why:
- It’s the Law: Canadian law mandates that all managers and supervisors ensure proper machine guarding effort is taken to minimize moving/rotating parts and nip hazards on the job. The supervisor is held liable for all injuries and/or deaths that may therefore occur through operating machinery that was not properly guarded. The law makes it clear.
- It Saves Lives: Besides remaining compliant with the law, machine guarding saves lives. According to Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Canadian statistics, in 2012, 1976 workers were caught or compressed by equipment. As a result, the law got serious about workplace injuries due to no machine guarding. Now, you can purchase parts and systems that were made specifically to guard your machinery, keeping all of your employees properly protected and supported while they perform their jobs.
- It Improves Employee Satisfaction: Employees know when managers care about their happiness and well-being. If they see investment made into machine guarding components that keep them happier and safer while working, they are going to be content with their role at your company. This contentment translates into greater employee satisfaction, and therefore, greater productivity with higher quality performance throughout the day. It doesn’t always take much to show your workforce that you care.
- It Minimizes Error: With humans comes human error. It’s part of what makes us human. That is no exception when operating big, dangerous machinery. Humans are going to slip up and press the wrong button. They might even stumble and fall. It’s wise to predict this type of error ahead of time, using machine guarding products to keep everyone safe even when error does occur. It’s a natural part of working with people on a daily basis.
- It Protects Clients: Do you permit clients or buyers to walk through your facility? Do they want to check it out before they invest in you? It’s in your best interest to establish a facility that is safe for everyone walking through. Nothing would shut down your business quicker than causing bodily harm to a potential buyer in the workplace.
Industrial Guarding Inc.
Here at Industrial Guarding Inc., we want you, your employees, and your buyers to be safe and protected. That’s why we help you establish a workplace that is machine guarding compliant – it’s better for everyone involved.